We apologize for the short notice, but if you are interested, we'd like to invite you to submit a community impact statement in advance of Mr. Branch's sentencing on July 2nd. If you are a Capitol Hill resident you can send your letters to firstname.lastname@example.org. Friends outside of DC can submit their letters to us and we will get them to the prosecution team. If possible, all letters should be submitted no later than next Wednesday, June 26th. Your letters should address the following questions:
(1) How has this crime affected you and your community?
(2) Has it had a negative effect on your community’s attitudes about itself? (For example, has the crime given rise in the community to feelings of anger, rage, vulnerability, fear, paranoia, hopelessness, frustration, or loss of trust and faith in society?)
(3) What is the social or economic impact of this crime on your neighborhood? (For example, are children kept indoors more, is it more difficult to safely use parks, are businesses less likely to stay or come to your neighborhood, have you spent more money or other resources as a result of being a crime victim?)
(4) What is needed to return your neighborhood to the conditions that existed prior to the crime being committed.
(5) What do you think is an appropriate sentence for this offense?
More information on community impact statements can be found on the U.S. Attorney's Office website. Additionally, a dear friend created the following template that you may want to consider using as you draft your letter. Thank you to everyone who has already written on our behalf. We are not only grateful, but completely inspired by your continued support.
The Maslin Family